Working across a variety of languages, the Sacred Materials Support Linguist role is a technical role responsible for validating and assuring consistency and quality for the most critical and sensitive translated materials, including scripture, music, and other sacred materials. You will ensure that these materials are properly archived, maintained, and preserved in safety, and you will be responsible to ensure that these materials are published accurately and without known error. To be successful, a Support Linguist needs to be proactive, customer-service oriented, and have the technical and linguistic capabilities to find solutions that improve translation quality while reducing a project's cost and duration. An On-Call Support Linguist works as needed to address workload demands, less than 20 hours per week.
• 50% - Perform quality validation and verification on translated materials, including scripture, music, and other sacred materials. Ensure consistency of structure, formatting, punctuation, terms, headings, etc. in sacred materials. Coordinate with translation supervisors to resolve quality issues.
• 25% - Provide project and production support for sacred materials projects. Prepare files for translation and review, utilizing appropriate CAT and other tools. Provide proactive technical input to promote the application of best-practices, efficiency, and quality risk reduction measures for a successful project. Troubleshoot and resolve project related issues. Ensure that newly approved languages are properly supported in systems and processes.
• 15% - Provide process support and improvement for sacred materials processes. Troubleshoot, investigate, and resolve technical issues, ensuring all issues are recorded, undergo a root cause analysis, and have documented corrective actions. Develop tools and scripts to improve processes for quality and efficiency.
• 5% - Coordinate with translation supervisors and coordinators on hand-offs and file preservation.
• 5% - Other duties as assigned by the manager.
• Bachelor's degree in linguistics, computational linguistics, computer science, or related technical/linguistic field.
• At least 4 years of experience in linguistics, computational linguistics, technical linguistic work, or localization.
• Working knowledge of coding/scripting, and regular expressions; proven experience creatively solving problems by writing scripts, macros and deploying tools.
• Demonstrated experience with markup languages including HTML, XML and XLIFF.
• Working knowledge of computer-assisted translation tools.
• Advanced knowledge of encoding, character sets, Unicode, UTF-8, and world writing systems.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy with the ability to exercise high standards of quality while meeting tight deadlines.
• Mastery of spoken and written English (native level) and working knowledge of at least two other languages, including vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and syntax. Ability to gain working knowledge of additional languages, as needed.
• Advanced knowledge of linguistic theory. Understanding of and ability to identify advanced literary figures and devices.
• Sound understanding of Church doctrine, policies, and ecclesiastical organization.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
• Experience working in a global team.
• Ability to multi-task in a time sensitive and deadline driven work environment.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.churchofjesuschrist.org.