FamilySearch Historical Records Expert (Scandinavian Languages) - Contract Worker
United States |
UT-Salt Lake City
ID 251470, Type: Temporary Full-Time
Family History Department
We are looking for an experienced detail oriented individual with demonstrated native-level Scandinavian language expertise (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian), and deep knowledge of historical genealogical documents to help us build high-quality training data for machine learning to help make available billions of records in FamilySearch’s automation and machine learning platform.
We create inspiring experiences that bring joy to all people as they discover, gather, and connect their family - past, present, and future.
Our Quality Standards: Inspiration, Trust, Kindness, Effectiveness, Simplicity
All workers at FamilySearch learn to find their ancestors and help others do the same.
As a Machine Learning Historical Records Expert in the Records Product Group at FamilySearch you will be exercising your demonstrated expertise in linguistics, technology, and historical records to build machine learning training datasets for historical genealogical documents. You’ll use paleography skills to accurately decipher historical documents, annotate language data with linguistic information to build Natural Language Processing (NLP) datasets, model the way people naturally read historical documents by creating hierarchies of relationships between areas of text, precisely map the layout of historical documents, curate large amounts of training data, review datasets for errors and provide corrections in a timely manner, and other data modeling activities and duties as assigned. You’ll enable FamilySearch’s automation efforts by meeting aggressive deadlines and accomplishing work assignments with consistently high output, quality, and accuracy.
- BA/BS Computer Science, Linguistics, Family History, or other bachelor’s degree with related or equivalent experience required.
- 3 - 5 years of related professional work experience.
- Native level fluency in Danish, Swedish, and/or Norwegian
- Business level fluency in English
- Demonstrated paleography skills to accurately decipher historical documents
- Demonstrated linguistic skills to build NLP datasets
- Experience working with historical documents
- Strong technical and analytical aptitude with a passion for data, efficiency, and accuracy
- Independent worker who is self-motivated, dependable, detail oriented, responsible, self-disciplined, and a team player with a record of timely delivery of requests
- Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessary in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment
- Comfortable handling a high volume of work on a daily basis
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office tools including: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Benefits provided by contracting employer.
Able to apply and be considered for direct hire positions during contract term.