FamilySearch Historical Records Expert 1 (Spanish Speaking) - Contract
United States |
ID 276227, Type: Temporary Full-Time
Family History Department
FamilySearch is seeking contractor Historical Records Expert 1.We are looking for an experienced detail-oriented individual with demonstrated native-level Spanish language expertise, and deep knowledge of historical genealogical documents to help us build high-quality training data for machine learning systems. This person’s work will help make billions of records available in FamilySearch’s automation and machine learning platform.
We create inspiring experiences that bring joy to all people as they discover, gather, and connect their family - past, present, and future.
Our Quality Standards: Inspiration, Trust, Kindness, Effectiveness, Simplicity
All workers at FamilySearch learn to find their ancestors and help others do the same.
As a Machine Learning Historical Records Expert I in the Records Product Group at FamilySearch you will be exercising your demonstrated expertise in paleography, linguistics, technology, and historical records to build machine learning training datasets for historical genealogical documents in the Spanish language. You’ll use paleography skills to accurately decipher historical documents, annotate language data with linguistic information to build natural language processing (NLP) datasets, model the way people naturally read historical documents by creating hierarchies of relationships between areas of text, precisely map the layout of historical documents, curate large amounts of data, review datasets for errors and provide corrections in a timely manner, and other data modeling activities and duties as assigned. You’ll enable FamilySearch’s automation efforts by meeting aggressive deadlines and accomplishing work assignments with consistently high output, quality, and accuracy.
BA/BS Linguistics, Family History, or other bachelor’s degree with related or equivalent experience required.
2-3 years relevant or related experience or equivalent experience
Skills & Abilities:
- Native level fluency in Spanish
- Business level fluency in English
- Demonstrated paleography skills to accurately decipher historical documents
- Demonstrated linguistic skills to build NLP datasets
- Experience working with historical documents
- Strong technical and analytical aptitude with a passion for data, efficiency, and accuracy
- Independent worker who is self-motivated, dependable, detail oriented, responsible, self-disciplined, and a team player with a record of timely delivery of requests
- Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessary in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment
- Comfortable handling a high volume of work on a daily basis
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office tools including: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Benefits provided by contracting employer.
Free to apply and be considered for direct hire positions during contract term.