Do you love teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ? If so, this position could be for you! The Ogden area is searching for future full and part-time Seminary and Institute Teachers. Ideal candidates will have a love of youth and young adults coming from all walks of life. They will be individuals of high character and have a capacity to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ in a Christ centered, learner focused, and scripturally based way. We are looking for dedicated individuals who are effective administrators who can work well with parents and priesthood leaders as they strive to help the rising generation.
This application is the first step in the process individuals must complete to be considered for employment in Seminaries and Institutes. The process consists of the following:
1. Complete the REL 471 Teaching Seminary Workshop. You can register for this class by going to myinstitute.churchofjesuschrist.org. If you have difficulty registering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. As part of this class, you will participate and be evaluated in a peer-to-peer teaching experience.
2. Participate in a brief (3-4 days) teaching practicum local seminary.
3. Student Teach. Student teachers are selected from successful practicum participants. There are more practicum participants than there are student teacher openings in any given term.
Student teachers are hired to teach one or two seminary classes in a local seminary. Student teachers are paid for teaching time, and for preparation and administrative time. The typical student teacher assignment is a 15-20 hour per week position.
The student teacher experience can last from one semester/trimester up to a full high school academic year, and in some cases even longer. During this time, student teachers continue the training process and are assessed and evaluated throughout as they are considered for employment. Decisions about full-time employment are made by the administration of Seminaries and Institutes in Salt Lake City. Decisions about part-time employment are made by local S&I administrators and depend on current demand. There are always more student teachers than there are openings in any given year.
It is encouraged that if you live 90 miles from a Preservice Center that you apply and register for REL 471 offering remotely teachseminary.churchofjesuschrist.org or contact Jerry Angell at AngellJB@ChurchofJesusChrist.org for more information about the online process.
- Teach students the doctrines and principles of the gospel as found in the scriptures and the words of the prophets.
- Teach in a way that leads to understanding and edification.
- Use approved curriculum and materials.
- Teach the number of classes recommended by policy in consultation with the area director.
Seek to Develop Professionally
- Accept faculty assignments.
- Observe classroom teaching and provide helpful feedback to teachers.
- Strive for continual professional growth.
Establish an Effective Working Relationships
- Provide useful information and respect the priesthood leader’s time.
- Establish clear and consistent methods of communication.
Enroll and Encourage Students
- Work closely with priesthood leaders in identifying and enrolling all potential students.
- Cultivate a learning environment of love, respect, and purpose in your classroom.
Seminary instructors are expected to work the time necessary to accomplish their assigned teaching and administrative responsibilities. Full-time seminary instructors are not eligible for overtime.
- Those in a trimester system should teach four of the five trimester classes each trimester. Those in the eight-period block system should teach six of the eight classes each semester. Those in a seven-period day should teach a minimum of six classes.
- When possible, the student to teacher ratio should be approximately 150-180 to one. It is recommended that there be no more than thirty-five students per class.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.churchofjesuschrist.org.